What to Know About Choosing a Jewelry Chain
Chains are trending and in demand like never before. Just peruse Instagram’s #NeckMess hashtag to see the inspiring and creative ways customers are layering their looks. From chunky chains that make a statement to a cascading column of thinner cable chains, you’ve got some serious opportunity here.
When a customer bursts into your store in pursuit of a new necklace, selecting a chain doesn’t have to be a hassle. Read on for five easy steps to guide the selection process, then download our helpful guide to choosing a jewelry chain.
There are five broad questions to cover with customers:
- What chain style? Box chain, cable chain, rope chain, wheat chain, or something else?
- What metal quality? Ever-popular yellow gold, on-trend rose gold, or perhaps a white metal?
- What length? We offer our chains in the most popular sizes and also custom lengths.
- What type of clasp? From lobster clasps to trigger clasps, Stuller has a comprehensive assortment of wholesale necklace clasps and other findings, like jump rings.
- What about a pendant? You can browse a variety of pendants, dangles, slides, and charms. We have something for everyone!
1. Choose a Jewelry Chain Style
In general, dainty chains (around 1mm) are popular for women, and larger-width chains (above 3mm) are popular for men. But in recent years, larger widths are becoming popular for both men and women.
Cable, rope, box, and wheat chains are our tried and true chains — and they go with anything! Try adding pendants, slides, and dangles. And if your customer wants something different show them curb, herringbone, paperclip, and figaro chains. These are great for layering and creating a statement look, but they’re also great for wearing alone or without a pendant.
Tip: Our 28-Piece Chain Selling System is a great way to pick a chain. It features 28 items in a variety of widths as well as our best-selling styles.
If you’d like to find exactly what you need, try our Chain and Cord Advanced Search.
New at Stuller: Threader Chains!
This new chain is a great way to jump on the customization trend.
Using our Threader Chain, you can add your own dangles and charms without assembling, and you can adjust to whatever length you desire. This chain gives customers the freedom to change up their look.
2. Decide on a Metal Quality
Gold is the most popular metal for necklaces, but sterling silver isn’t far behind and offers a great price point option.
Stuller offers a wide assortment of metal qualities:
- 10k, 14k, and 18k white, yellow, and rose gold
- Sterling silver
- Gold-filled, gold-plated, and rhodium-plated sterling silver
3. Select a Chain Length
Stuller offers multiple lengths of chain and chain by the inch, which we recommend if you need a custom length.
Our most popular length for women is 18”, but those who like something to sit right below the collarbone may find 16” chains the perfect length. By contrast, men gravitate toward longer lengths, like 20” to 24” chains.
Chokers are typically 14”, and ankles — yes, they’re making a return — are normally 9.5-10”. Oh, and 7” bracelets are trending in a huge way now. Whether it’s a bracelet, necklace, or anklet, stack it up!
4. Find a Chain Clasp
Whether you need a clasp for a simple necklace, a pearl necklace, a clasp that can be used for multiple chains, or even a magnetic clasp for easier usage, we have you covered.
Our most popular clasp type is the lobster clasp. We have a range of small clasps for daintier chains and larger clasps to suit wider widths and heavier chains. Spring rings are a great price point option and perfect for delicate chains.
Tip: If you are purchasing chain by the inch, use our Add a Clasp option. This will bring you to a list of specific clasps that will fit perfectly with your chain.
Jewelers’ Favorite Clasps
- You can’t go wrong with our 276 or 276R classic lobster clasps
- SR5 is the perfect price point clasp for a smaller chain
- Toggle clasps are a great way to add a design element to a chain. We love 2000877 toggle clasp set! Pair this with our CH1095 Elongated Flat Cable Chain.
- Want to make layering your chains quick and easy? Use 2000534 multi strand magnetic clasp!
- Have a customer that needs an easy functional clasp? We love either 28506 Magnetic clasp or 2000295 Triggerless lobster clasp.
We also have a wide array of chain components — jump rings, chain tags, chain ends, and more — to construct your ideal chain.
5. Finishing Touches: Pair With a Pendant, Dangle, Slide, or Charm
Even though we love a chain on its own, we also love to add a little embellishment. Add pendants, bails, and dangles to create your own unique look.
These are some of our favorites:
- 87206 slide (this works perfect with our threader chain)
- 87502 key pendant with 87184 engravable lock pendant or 87348 diamond lock pendant
- And, you can’t go wrong with petite dangles: 2000943 and 2000936 are great for the current celestial trend! We love using our oval split rings, like series OV1, to easily add dangles to any chain.
Bookmark our Advanced Chain Search on Stuller.com. This phenomenal resource allows your search to be as broad or specific as you need. Also, our latest fine jewelry catalog, Jewelry 2020-2021, has our full chain assortment with millimeter widths, metal quality, and pricing. Let it be your go-to resource for all things chains and neckwear.
Download and print the infographic below to give customers a visual when discussing how to choose a chain.