National Battery Day
Ever thought about life without batteries? Yea, me neither.
But now that I think about it, life would be very different without them. Just think about all of the things around you that use batteries – cars, smart phones (can’t live without those too right!?), tablets, music players, computers, fire alarms, wrist watches, toys, flash lights, and that’s just a drop in the bucket.
Technology has come a long way, and it’s shaping the way everyone, not just the jewelry industry, does business. And in the battery world, lithium batteries are the hot topic – expanding into our market creating new profitable opportunities.
Lithium batteries stand apart from others like alkaline or zinc-carbon in their high charge density (fancy for longer life) and high cost per battery. In fact, depending on the design and chemical compounds used, lithium cells can produce voltages from 1.5V (comparable to the other batteries mentioned above) to about 3.7V.
So back to new profit opportunities. One way jewelers have started to capitalize on the lithium battery revolution is through car clickers. Dealerships charge upwards of $200 to replace these, so there’s definitely room for jewelers to offer their services in addition to watch battery replacement. And that’s just one example.
- The #1 battery Stuller sells is 377/376
- Stuller ships about 15 million watch batteries every year
- 2015’s top battery customer purchased 199,000 batteries in a single order!
- Stuller started carrying a battery selection in 1997
- Energizer® was the first battery brand we offered
- Stuller offers approximately 40 different types lithium watch batteries and 6 different types of standard lithium batteries.
- It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to change a battery
- Ben Franklin first coined the term “battery” in 1748 to describe an array of charged glass plates
Do you have thoughts on lithium batteries? Are they making you more profit in some way? Tell us how, in the comments section below.